We did a Star Wars Birthday party for my son. The food was my favorite part and was a huge hit!!
The chocolate cake was delicious rich and moist. One of the many reasons I love Bundt cakes more than normal cakes!
For the cake:
- 1 cup butter
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour plus more for the pan
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the chocolate glaze:
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat to 350 degrees F. Use PAM baking spray and grease a 10 or 12-cup Bundt pan and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the butter, cocoa powder, salt, and water and place over medium heat. Cook, stirring, just until melted and combined. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and baking soda. Add half of the melted butter mixture and whisk until completely blended. The mixture will be thick. Add the remaining butter mixture and whisk until combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking until completely blended. Whisk in the sour cream and the vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes and then invert onto a rack. Let cool completely before glazing.
- While the cake is cooling, make the chocolate glaze. Place the chopped chocolate and corn syrup (or agave) in a medium bowl and set aside. Combine the heavy cream and sugar in a small saucepan and put over medium heat. Stir until the cream is hot and the sugar is dissolved. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and whisk until smooth.
- Generously drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake, allowing it to drip down the sides. Cut into pieces and serve.
I want to come to the Star Wars party! Food looks great, especially the Nordic Bundt Cake shape outfitted with characters!