These pancakes screamed my name when I saw them in a magazine earlier this month. And they lived up to every dream I had about them! Cranberry Orange combo will always and forever be my favorite! The tartness from the fresh cranberries blends perfectly with the warmth of the maple and creates pure heaven in your mouth!
- 2-4 oranges
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen(thawed) cranberries
- Remove 2 TBS of orange zest and squeeze 1/4 cup juice from oranges.
- In a large bowl whisk together zest and juice, egg yolks, ricotta and milk until smooth.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to ricotta mixture and stir until just barely combined. (A few lumps are fine)
- Place egg whites in a bowl and whisk on high until stiff peaks form (this will help the pancakes be lighter since the ricotta cheese makes them more dense).
- Fold half of the egg whites into the batter. Stir gently to combine. Add remaining egg whites and fold gently.
- Heat a greased (I like to use butter) griddle or skillet over medium. Add batter in 1/4 cup scoops.
- Top each pancake with chopped cranberries. And cook for 2-3 minutes per side or until golden.
- Serve with Salted Maple Butter and fresh whipped cream.
Salted Maple Butter
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 TBS maple syrup
- 3/4 tsp salt
- In a medium bowl combine butter, maple syrup and salt.