Ok this isn’t necessary a food recipe but everyone NEEDS this in their life!! Bubbles make everyone happy and people of any age can do them! My little 18 month old can blow these bubbles all by himself. With using mostly common kitchen ingredients you can whip up a batch of bubbles in 3 minutes!! It does call for 2 random ingredients but don’t let that stop you from having the MOST FUN ANYTIME you want!!!
Some tips for the biggest bubbles:
- The cord is important! It has to be able to hold the liquid or else the bubble can’t form.
- If it’s too windy outside, the bubbles will pop before getting giant. It’s best with a tiny slight breeze.
- To get the bubble going, start walking backwards and then the wind will catch it.
- Always make a fresh batch. It can be kept for about 4-5 days but after that the bubble won’t blow as giant.
Instructions on how to make the wands:
- 4- 4 foot 1/ 2” wooden dowels cut in half
- 10 yards 6/32 or 3/16” cotton filler cord cut in 4 equal pieces ( can find this at Joanne’s fabrics- needs to be the cotton filler)
- 4 heavy washers or nuts
- 8 eye screws 3/4” (if you can find stainless steal ones, then they won’t rust. I didn’t do that my first time and it still works great but leaves rust marks on the cord)
- Drill and screw an eye screw into one end if each dowel (8 pieces)
- Thread a washer or nut onto each piece of cotton filler cord.
- Loop cording through both eye screws with the nut/washer at the bottom.
- Tie two ends together in a knot close to one of the eye screws.
I made two of my wands shorter in length and a shorter rope so that the tiny boys wouldn’t be dragging it on the ground. It’s worked really well. I just marked the ends of the sticks that were shorter so we could tell the difference.
Ingredients for Giant Bubbles
- 1 cup Dawn Ultra Dish Soap (it HAS to be Dawn, I tried buy a giant size Sams Club brand and the bubbles didn’t work…)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 T baking powder
- 1 tsp rubbing alcohol
- 1 tsp glycerin (you supposedly can find it at JoAnns or Micheals, but I couldn’t never find it and just ordered it off of Amazon)
- 1 tsp guar gum (again, order off of Amazon)
- 12 cups hot water
Directions for Giant Bubbles
- Mix all ingredients except water very well
- Add very hot water, don’t over mix or you will get lots of bubbles
- Store in a gallon milk jug or pop bottle
- Pour bubble mixture into large bowl, dip cording into it.
- Pull out the cord with the sticks together and then open the sticks when you want the bubble to start forming.
- Walk slowly backwards or run- depending on if it’s windy, etc…. (Be careful when doing it over cement, it becomes very slippery).