Grandmas are just the best right?! I might be biased but I have the BEST grandma. She is my role model in every way. One of my favorite memories was driving down to visit her with one of my friends. The next morning we woke up and had a delicious breakfast. Waffles with all the toppings…and her specialty a scoop of ice cream on top!! Say what?! Yep, ice cream! I’m telling you, Grandmas are the best!!
Both of my grandmas loved wheat and grinding their own flour. I have grown up helping scoop the grains and smelling the freshly ground flour. These waffles are the best because they use whole wheat and you can add extra grains/seeds for more fiber and crunch.
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 TBS white sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1-2 TBS chia seeds (optional)
- 1-2 TBS ground flax seed (optional)
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs, separated
- Preheat waffle iron
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add butter, buttermilk and egg YOLKS to the batter. Mix.
- Whip egg WHITES till soft peaks formed, fold gently into the batter.
- Pour into waffle iron and cook.
- Top with berries, syrup or ICE CREAM!