So this summer we went to New Mexico for a job. We only took with us our clothes, Will’s crib/toys and a few kitchen items. The Instant Pot was totally on that list!! It was funny because I had the instant pot probably 5-6 months before I actually started using it. Now I use it at least every other day, if not everyday!
Reasons why I love my Instant Pot:
- Worry free cooking- I just have to throw the food in there and not have to worry about burning it, boiling over, stirring…
- Multiple uses: my favorites are cooked chicken, rice, potatoes, boiled eggs, soups and corn.
- Take it and GO – if I ever am going to a pot luck I just click the lid on and grab it and GO! It won’t spill in the car, it stays totally warm and it’s an easy shape to carry
- Timed start- sometimes I get dinner ready during Will’s nap or shortly there after…that is great but usually leaves about an 1-2 hrs before dinner should actually be ready…so I just set the delay timer to start cooking dinner and it will be ready exactly when I need it to be! Then I can go outside and enjoy playing with Will!
- Easy to clean!!
- Fast!! -everything gets cooked the same…but a ton faster!!
So here are a few of my go to recipes/times for the instant pot.
Jasmine Rice – 1 cup rice/1 cup water. Add to instant pot. Close lid and seal. Cook on Manual/High for 3 minutes. Natural Release for 10 minutes. Release remaining pressure. Fluff.
- Brown Rice- 1 cup rice/1 cup water. Add to instant pot. Close lid and seal. Cook on Manual/High for 15 minutes. Natural Release for 5 minutes. Release remaining pressure. Fluff.
- Wild Rice- 1 cup rice/1.5 cup water, 1 tsp olive oil. Add to instant pot. Close lid and seal. Cook on Manual/High for 15 minutes. Natural Release until the pressure is dropped (normally about 10 minutes). Fluff.
- 1 cup chicken broth, 1 tsp seasoning salt, 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts.
- Chicken can be frozen or thawed. It cook the same but might take longer to come up to pressure if frozen.
- Add all ingredients to instant pot. Close lid and seal. Cook at Manual/High for 12 minutes (they will be cooked at 7-8, but the extra time makes it tender). Allow to Natural Release for 10 minutes. Release remaining pressure. Drain about 1/2 liquid. Shred chicken and store in extra liquid if not using right away.
Corn on the cob
- Corn (husked and silk removed), 1 cup water
- Add water to instant pot. Place trivet inside the pot. Place corn on the trivet. Close lid and seal. Cook on Manual/High for 3 minutes. Quick Release the pressure.
- I’ve done as many as 4-5 cobs at a time
- Dozen Eggs, 1 cup water
- Add water to instant pot. Place trivet in instant pot. Place eggs gently on trivet. Close lid and seal. Cook on Manual/High for 5 minutes. Quick Release and put eggs in ice cold water. Try not to shout for joy when peeling them…it’s a miracle!
- 5 lbs russet potatoes, 1.5 cups water, 1 stick butter, 1/2-1 cup whipping cream, salt and pepper or ranch seasoning
- DONT PEEL POTATOES!!!
- Place trivet in instant pot. Cut potatoes in half and place on trivet. Don’t fill above max fill line. Add water. Close lid and seal. Cook on Manual/High for 12 minutes. Quick Release the pressure. Potatoes will be hot. Use a paper towel to grab and squeeze the potato out of the skin into a clean bowl. Don’t get extra water in clean potato bowl. Add butter (can be melted to be made easier), cream and seasonings to clean potatoes.