A couple of years ago I bought several cans of Creamed Style Corn versus the normal canned corn. So I asked on Instagram for any recipes to use up the cans so they wouldn’t go to waste. Well that might have been the best mistake I’ve ever made, because I was given this recipe and it quickly became my family’s favorite soup!
The reason I love this soup is that it’s not overly spicy. I would say it’s more “sweet” than spicy because of the corn. So that makes it a quick favorite for the kids. But also it’s not your normal canned taco soup recipe but just as easy! It’s the perfect soup!
- 1-2 chicken breast, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tsp crushed garlic
- 4 tsp chicken broth/base (I use the powdered kind)
- 1 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 4 cups milk (I’ll do a combination of milk and cream)
- 4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 (14oz) cans of creamed style corn
- 1 (7oz) can of green chilies
- 2 cans petite diced tomatoes
- In a large pot, add chicken and onions with a 2 TBS butter or oil. Stir until chicken is cooked.
- Add hot water, garlic, chicken base and cumin to the pot. Stir until mixed then heat until boiling. Cover and turn down heat to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add milk, cheese, corn, chilies, and tomatoes. Cook over medium heat until cheese has melted and soup is hot.
- Remove from heat and serve with cilantro, cheese and chips! Enjoy!