I am never really a fan of store bought cookies. I believe that you can make any cookie taste better at home than buying it at the store. That is anything except the brand Grandmas Cookies and specifically the peanut butter one! Oh man oh man it is hands down the best peanut butter cookies out there. I have been searching and searching for the perfect recipe to recreate it at home and finally found it!! A mouthful of peanut butter and perfectly soft!
- 2 and 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup white sugar for rolling
- Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and both sugars together on medium speed until smooth, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the eggs and beat on high until combined, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Add the peanut butter and vanilla, then beat on high speed until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, then mix on low until combined. Dough will be thick and soft.
- Cover and chill the dough for 1 hour in the refrigerator (and up to 2-3 days). If chilling for longer than a few hours, though, allow to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before rolling and baking because the dough will be quite hard.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line 2-3 large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Roll cookie dough into balls, and then roll the balls in granulated sugar. (I like to put my sugar in a bag and then add several balls at a time. Then shake the balls to cover with sugar. I’ve found that it is faster and easier)
- Use a fork to make a crisscross indent on top of each.
- Bake each batch for 10-12 minutes until very lightly browned on the sides. The centers will look very soft. (My oven cooks hot and so I took mine out a little before 10 minutes)
- Remove from the oven. Cool cookies on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cookies stay fresh covered at room temperature for up to 1 week. (They are especially soft the next day)