Most of my recipes come from my sisters. We share a Pinterest board with all kinds of menu categories and full of yummy yummy recipes. But this recipe has been a family secret! My older sister learned this recipe from her In-Laws and luckily has been able to share it with us. Dwight said that “Life is too short to not be lived with hearts full of love for each other.” A special thank you to his family for sharing the love with all of us. And trust me when I say, we rarely rarely have a family reunion without having this on the menu!!
What makes it so special?! Well maybe it’s because it is soaked in pure sugar and soy sauce haha but don’t let that scare you! This chicken will take you straight to Hawaii and having everyone saying Aloha! So pull up Island Style by John Cruz, Jack Johnson, Jackson Browne on Spotify and start up the grill!
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. ginger
- 1 TSB minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp hot chili sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 4-5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs (I’ve also used chicken breasts, just not as tender as the thigh)
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot on the stove.
- Stir over medium heat until almost boiling. Remove from heat and pour over chicken. (If making a smaller batch, 2-3 lbs chicken, pour half of your sauce into a gallon size bag and freeze for a quick dinner) I also like to save about 1 cup for a dipping sauce to serve with the meal. Make sure to exclude that portion before the sauce touches the raw meat.
- Marinade 2-4 hrs (or over night, just make sure to stir it occasionally).
- Place on a hot grill and cook until temperature reaches 165.
- Serve over rice with fresh pineapple as a side.
I also like to use this meat on a pizza for leftovers or over a green salad.