This isn’t your average taco soup and cornbread recipe that you made in college when you were first learning how to cook. Well…maybe its similar in the easy to throw together category but taste…wow…the taste is 10000 times better!! And the cornbread…don’t even get me started…my mom would make this cornbread all growing up. When it comes out of the oven, the top has this nice sweet crust to it. You can really taste the sweetness. Pair it with some honey butter and I won’t blame you if you need to eat like 7 slices in one sitting!
Taco Soup Ingredients
- 1/2 to 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup chicken or beef broth
- 2 cans (4-ounces each) green chiles, mild, medium or hot
- 15-ounce can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (8-ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (smoked or regular)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- Toppings: tortilla chips or strips, sour cream, cheese, cilantro, etc.
Taco Soup Directions
Stovetop: in a 6-quart pot, brown the ground beef with the salt and pepper until cooked through, breaking the meat into small pieces as it cooks. Drain grease. To the pot add the remaining ingredients except the corn and toppings. Stir well. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes (or up to 30 minutes). Stir in the corn and heat through. Season to taste with salt and pepper, if needed, and serve with toppings of choice.
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup oil
- 1 1/2 cans of evaporated milk (13 oz cans)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cup flour (may use whole wheat or combination)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 T baking powder
- 1 1/2 cup cornmeal
- Mix eggs, oil, evaporated milk, and sugar in a large bowl.
- Add flour, salt, baking powder, and cornmeal into the wet ingredients.
- Mix until well combined.
- Pour into a greased 9×13 pan or greased muffin tins.
- Bake at 350 for 45-55 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown and the middle comes clean on a toothpick. For muffins: check around 15-18 minutes and cooking times may vary.
Cinnamon Honey Butter
- 1/2 cup soften butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
Beat until fluffy and spread over cornbread.