In college I had a roommate who made this around the holidays and ever since then it has been a tradition for me. I love taking it to parties or holiday meals. The jalapeños mixed with the cranberries perfectly offset each other and make a wonderful flavor. You need to use all fresh ingredients and so stock up on cranberries when they are in season. Try not to eat an entire box of crackers with it before all your company arrives!
- 12 oz fresh, uncooked cranberries
- 1/4 cup green onions
- 1-2 fresh jalapeño peppers, seeded and cored
- 2 TBS cilantro (optional)
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1 TBS lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 16 oz cream cheese (whipped)
- Chop the cranberries. (I like to use a food processor or blender. I split it into 2 and then only pulse it, making sure not to blend it up too much into a mushy sauce. You want it to be minced.)
- Chop green onions, jalapeños and cilantro.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the all the ingredients (except the cream cheese and crackers). Stir until mixed together.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge for at least 1-2 hrs or overnight. (This allows all the flavors to blend together.)
- Strain out the liquid (optional). Place in a bowl. Serve with cream cheese spread over a cracker.