It’s that time of year when you and all your neighbors have zucchini coming out of your ears. Last week alone I was given 5+ zucchini! I loved how easy this was to throw together and then bake in the oven. When coming out of the oven, if you sprinkle a little fresh lemon juice over the dish, it really comes alive with flavor!
- 2 large eggs
- 1 TBS water
- 1 tsp salt (or I like to use garlic salt for more flavor)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 cup almond flour (optional)
- 2 TBS ground flaxseed (optional)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced into thin pieces
- 4 TBS olive oil
- 4-5 zucchini (I used both zucchini and yellow summer squash), sliced
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1-2 cups mozzarella or Parmesan cheese
- 2 TBS fresh basil, chopped
- In a shallow bowl, beat egg, water, 1/2 tsp salt and pepper. Set aside 2 TBS bread crumbs. Place remaining crumbs, almond flour and flaxseed in a large shallow dish. Dip the chicken into egg mixture, then place in crumbs and turn to coat.
- In a large skillet, cook the chicken in oil until golden brown, 2-3 minutes on each side; remove and set aside. In the same skillet sauté zucchini in remaining oil until crisp-tender; drain. Transfer to a greased 13×9 baking dish.
- Sprinkle the reserved breadcrumbs over the zucchini. Top with tomato slices; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese, basil and the remaining salt. Top with chicken. Cover and bake at 400° until a thermometer reads 165°, about 25 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake until the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.