Mr. W surprised me by making the most delicious dessert for Mother’s Day. It’s the kind of dessert when you bite into it, your face instantly smiles, head starts to nod in approval and you begin to laugh because it is just so dang good! It takes me straight back to Miami and all the key lime desserts we would have!
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 1/2 tsp lime zest, grated
- 1/2 cup lime juice, 3-4 limes (6-8 key limes)
- 14 fl oz sweetened condensed milk
- 11 crackers graham cracker
- 3 TBS granulated sugar
- 5 TBS unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 TBS lime zest
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (170°C).
- Make the filling: Whisk the egg yolks and lime zest in a medium bowl until tinted light green, about 2 minutes.
- Beat in the lime juice and condensed milk, then set aside at room temperature to thicken.
- Make the crust: Crush the graham crackers in a zip-top bag, then mix in the sugar and butter. Divide the crumbs between a 6-cup muffin tin and press down to form crusts.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- Pour filling into the crusts, then bake until the center is slightly jiggly, 15-17 minutes.
- Let cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate until chilled, 2-3 hours.
- Make the whipped cream: In a large bowl, beat the heavy cream with an electric hand mixer and slowly add the sugar. Once soft peaks form, add the lime zest, then whip until firm peaks form.
- Top the mini pies with whipped cream.
It makes about 8-10 pies