Cinnamon Crumble Banana Bread
It always seems no matter how green I get the bananas we can never eat them in time before they turn brown! It also doesn’t help that Mr. W doesn’t eat bananas unless cooked in a bread and that our apartment is always 100 degrees thanks to living in graduate student housing. But I now have a solution to one of those problems!! This crumble on top of the bread would make any banana hater rethink his ways. The crumble is so light and just dissolves the moment it hits your mouth! The banana bread underneath is a beautiful golden brown with a small warmth of cinnamon! The perfect combination for a wet and snowy morning!!
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 Large (3 small) overripe bananas, mashed
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- In a large bowl of a mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together the sugar, egg and vanilla until combined. Add the butter and beat until smooth and the butter is fully incorporated. Beat in the buttermilk and bananas.
- Add the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon. Slowly stir the dry ingredients into the wet until all the flour is incorporated. Spray a loaf pan or muffin tins with non-stick spray and pour in the batter. * Note that not all loaf pans are the same size. You may have extra batter, so just pour in enough so there is still about an inch or 2 of space before the top of the pan. Then pour the extra in muffin tins
- Make the crumb topping by combining the powdered sugar, flour, cinnamon salt and melted butter. Using your hands, crumble the mixture over the batter in the pan. Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 45 – 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Muffins will cook in about 18-20 minutes.
Makes 12-18 muffins or 1 loaf pan and 6 muffins